Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Speedster Sharma Will Not Compromise


India fast bowler Ishant Sharma is not prepared to compromise on his pace for more accuracy as he believes speed is his main weapon.

The 19-year-old was impressive in the Tests against Australia and was influential in the recent Commonwealth Bank Series, where he took 14 wickets from nine matches.

The Delhi-born paceman dominated the Australia batsmen, particularly skipper Ricky Ponting, with his pace, bounce and movement, and of those attributes, Ishant ranks pace as the most important.

"I want to become a complete fast bowler. I always concentrate on line and length and variations without compromising on pace. I know speed is my strength,"

he said.

Ishant was happy with his performances and admits he tried to steer clear of the "distractions" Down Under.

"I was told it would be very tough but I made a promise to myself that I would make the most of it,"

he told the Hindu.

"I had to learn on and off the field and there was no place for any distractions. I was not going to allow my cricket to be dominated."

The three-month long tour has taken its toll though and Ishant has been advised to rest for two to three weeks by India physio John Gloster.

But Ishant will certainly be in contention when selectors pick the squad for the three-match home Test series against South Africa on March 17.

The first Test will begin in Chennai on March 26.

No comments: