Monday, March 10, 2008

MacGill Expects Aussie Recall


Leg-spinner Stuart MacGill expects an immediate recall to the Australia side, despite not playing a first-class match in more than three months.

The 37-year-old returns to the New South Wales line-up for this weekend's crucial Pura Cup clash with South Australia at the Sydney Cricket Ground after undergoing surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome and has already marked the date of his return to the national team.

With this month's trip to Pakistan looking likely to be called off, MacGill is demanding a spot in the squad to tour the Caribbean in May and June.

"I've always been on the plane to the West Indies from my point of view,"

MacGill said on Thursday.

"I know that might sound a bit arrogant but it's important for me to treat things as business as usual.

"When sportsmen make such a big deal of their goals it can become all consuming.

"My most important goal will be achieved tomorrow, playing for New South Wales.

"I've got a good record and I'm pretty sure that will get me an international match every now and again."

Test great Shane Warne believes late bloomer Bryce McGain is the form spinner in interstate cricket but should only tour if MacGill is unfit.

"I think Bryce McGain to me has clearly been the standout spinner of the competition this year,"

Warne said.

"If the selectors are going to take a spinner on a tour - whatever the next tour's going to be - I think Bryce McGain should definitely be the number one spinner if Stuart MacGill's injured or not playing.

"At the moment he hasn't played so we've got to look at somebody to take away so Bryce McGain to me would be the number one spinner."

No comments: